Assignments

Here you can see what my class and I worked on throughout the school year.

READ AND WRITE REVIEW

1. The aperture is the size of the lens and the size determines how much light is let into the camera. The shutter speed is how long the shutter is open on the camera. The ISO is the number that describes film’s sensitivity to light.
  2. You would need to change your ISO based on the film grain and any other element of the camera to get the perfect meter.
  3. The aperture and shutter priority settings are shooting modes that automatically choose the settings for rather the aperture or shutter on the camera.
  4. AF modes are when the camera autofocuses on subjects.
  5. You need to meter the light to get the right exposure because, too much light can wipe the photo, and too little can make the image too dark.
  6. A normal lens is what a human sees, a wide angle is a large wide angle that captures a big photo, and a telephoto is a small and sharp lens usually used for smaller subjects.
  7. White balance is the process of removing unrealistic color casts, so that objects which appear white in person are rendered white in your photo. You need to change this so the color looks natural in your photos.
  8. Depth of field is how in focus the background is in a photo, and to change it you would need to adjust the aperture, lens zoom and distance from the camera to the subject.
  9. Drive modes are modes within the camera such as single shot, continuous low and continuous high.
  10. Exposure compensation is a technique for adjusting the exposure in a camera and helps an image stand out.

IMAGE PROJECTION:

TRIPTYCH:

SHALLOW DEPTH OF FIELD:

MIRROR IMAGERY:

FILE FORMATS EXPLAINED:

A jpeg is a type of format that stands for “Joint photographic experts group”, it is commonly used method of lossy compression for photography. Png is short for portable network graphic, it is a faster-graphics file format that supports lossless data compression. Tiff is short for tag image file format, it is for storing raster graphics images. Gif is graphics interchange format, which is a format that supports animated and static images. A Raw file is lossless, meaning it captures uncompressed data from your camera sensor.

If the camera is set to JPEG, this raw data is processed and compressed before it is saved in the JPEG format. If the camera format is set to raw, no processing is applied, and therefore the file stores more tonal and color data. JPEG just sets the standard for Internet images and the small file size accommodates storage. Tiff images contain all of the data of the original photograph, resulting in significantly larger files and high quality images. Meanwhile, jpeg files lose some data with each save.

CUT AND PASTE COLLAGE  BASED ON A THEME:

$10,000 PHOTOGRAPHY SHOPPING SPREE:

If I had $10,000 to spend on photography, I would first buy the Nikon D500 DSLR Camera Body Video Kit. It costs $1,874.95 and comes with a full kit, including the Nikon D500 DSLR Camera Body Lens Video Kit from B&H bundles the advanced DX-format DSLR with a 64GB SDXC memory card, two spare rechargeable lithium-ion batteries, an external dual battery charger, an external microphone with shockmount, a 9V alkaline battery, a shoulder rig, and a backpack to protect and carry all of the gear. The next thing I would buy is the DJI Inspire 2 Standard Kit with Zenmuse X7 Gimbal & 16mm/2.8 ASPH ND Lens. This professional drone costs $7,599.00 and can get ariel shots you cant get from the ground. The Zenmuse X7 gimbal offers 3-axis stabilization while its camera captures footage at up to 6K resolution at either 17:9 or 16:9 aspect ratios. In addition to 6K, the camera can record DCI 4K at 30 fps, and UHD 4K at a smoother 60 fps. For still image shooting, hi-res 24MP pictures can be taken, and all your aerial footage can be saved on optional microSD or DJI CINESSD drives. The addition of the 16mm ASPH ND lens delivers an open f/2.8 aperture to accommodate for low-light conditions, or to reduce depth of field for an augmented bokeh effect. These two purchases will equal up to $9,473.95, and will not be complete without the help of the Peak Design Aluminum Travel Tripod which costs $379.95. In total, the camera kit, drone, and tripod will cost $9,853.9.

DOUBLE COLOR EXPOSURES:

BLOCK PRINTING:

Football player portrait (Gio)

SOCIAL AND POLITICAL ISSUES IN ART:

I feel that both genders should be payed and treated as the same, as a human being. If the work and labor is the exact same, there should be no favoritism. My mother has influenced my opinion because, she is the best woman that I know, and I would hate to hear if she was being payed less than everyone else at her job. Business owners who pay differently based on the person might say the worker brings different values to the workplace, and would rather pay someone more fitting in their perspective. I cannot relate or see their view, as I just a human doing a job. I chose my stand because I believe in basic human rights no matter which gender you are. My artwork is meant to inspire and motivate. Business owners who pay unfairly would be offended and be called out. An artist of a political issue poster creator has the right to offend, as freedom of speech is apart of sensitive topics that sometimes need to be talked about. My poster gets the message out because, it inspires the audience to answer the question, and to look at where the money goes too. The center of interest is where the money goes too, and I hope the audience agrees that the money should go both ways equally, before during and after reading the text.

LEVITATION SERIES:

INDEED JOB SEARCH:

1.  wedding photographer – to be a Wedding Photographer, I would need a bachelor’s degree. I would need to learn how to frame, and get the perfect shot at the perfect moment for people’s lives. I would want this job because, weddings are usually the nicest place to be at, and with everyone being happy, it would be nice to be included in capturing the perfect shot, at a beautiful place.

2. Architectural Photography – to be a Architectural photographer, I would need no formal education requirements for this position, though some photographers earn an associate or a bachelor’s degree in photography to learn various industry techniques and to develop their particular style. Becoming an architectural photographer would allow me to go outside, and share with the world, what one city might look like. I could help someone locate somewhere, and show what a building might look like, or even advertise for that building’s owner.

3. Creative Specialist – Photographer/videographer – to be a creative specialist, I would need Refined photography, videography, and drone operation skills. Professional etiquette, a positive attitude, and excellent customer service skills is a must. Valid Driver’s License. I would be a creative specialist because, it would allow me to have the freedom to do whatever I want. Being a creative specialist is about using interesting techniques to turn your photographs into works of art

PAINTING AND PHOTOGRAPHY:

PHOTOMONTAGE a la DAVID HOCKNEY:

JUMP START YOUR PHOTOGRAPHY 

You can get inspired in photography by

1. Going to the movies. Cinematography is a great way to love visuals and camera angles when you are interested in a really good movie.
  2. By learning a new lighting technique. If you learn something new and like it, you can start a whole new branch of creativity and you can try your best to get your best photo.
  3. By joining a photowalk. You can get inspired to do your own work after seeing the works of others.
  4. Listening to music. You can close your eyes, visualize a place, then go get that photo afterwards.
  5. Read a magazine. Magazines are filled with pictures and drama, so you can read stories and get inspired by the images that follow.
  6. Shoot a sporting event. With action and high energy, capture the moment to share.
  7. Shoot a holiday theme. It doesnt have to be a specific season, you can choose and decorate for your perfect shot.
  8. Food photography. If you ever get hungry by food commercials, get a well dressed meal and take a photo take make someone jealous.
  9. Take portraits of people. If you like the way someone is dressing, ask for their photo, you might not see them wear that again.
  10. Take self portraits. This you can be very creative in, rather you could show off an outfit, or tell a story.

SANDY SKOGLUND:

Sandy Skoglund is an American photographer and installation artist. Skoglund creates surrealist images by creating bright out of place animals, and litters it on a scene. The scene is usually a plain single color, with the surreal animals being scattered as a bright solid color. The main subjects or people, are the only things with true color, everything else is bright, and exaggerated. 
Sandy Skoglund and the Evocativeness of Photography | Widewalls

WASSILY KANDINSKY:

I love this image the most because, it reminds me of something you would see on the walls of a really nice restaurant. Wassily Kandinsky was a Russian painter and art theorist. His art consists of shapes and colors that follow the rhythm of some call music. He uses bright colors and random shapes to create his works. Wassily Kandinsky was known as a pioneer of abstract painting, both independently and as part of the Blaue Reiter group and Blaue Vier with Lyonel Feininger, Alexej Jawlensky, and Paul Klee.

BOOKFACE

MOTION BLUR

• Tripods are key for motion blur so the camera can stay as still as possible
  • Let things naturally move, and stay focused on stationary object in frame
  • The longer the shutter speed, the more affect you will have
  • The more interesting the background, the more interesting
  • Lights are the most interesting motion blur images, as the line turns into a single image, as if it was drawn by a pencil

DIPTYCH: OPPOSITES

PHOTOGRAPHY CAREER TREE:

1. I am most interested in Commercial Photographer, Cinematographer, and Portrait photographer
  2. A commercial photographer is someone who shoots images that help their clients sell their products or services. Cinematographers are responsible for the filming of a scene. Portrait photographers take pictures of individuals or groups of people and usually work in their own studios.
  3. Commercial Photographer in California is $19.99 an hour. Cinematographers make $34,200 in the 25th percentile. Salaries below this are outliers. $72,600 is the 75th percentile. Portrait Photography jobs category in Los Angeles is $20.48 an hour.
  4. Commercial photographers are the reason why we see products and help that product get recognized. Cinematographers are responsible for movies, and making the scenes possible. Portrait photographers are usually seen in beautiful areas, taking pictures of beautiful people.
  5.  66% of commercial photographers hold a bachelor’s degree degree, and 66% hold an associate degree degree. For cinematographer, a bachelor’s degree in Film, production, or a similar discipline. Portrait,  a certificate program in photography and digital imaging that includes courses in developing images and editing photos.

PHOTOGRAPH CTE and VAPA CLASSES @ JURUPA

D100 Art

B104 Band

Printable

SELF PORTRAIT BLENDED WITH MY CHOICE OF IMAGERY:

GEORGIA O’KEEFE ILLUSTRATION:

This image was inspired by Black rock on stump. It was made for simplicity.

PHOTOMONTAGE: WHERE YOU SEE YOURSELF IN 10 YEARS:

SCREENPRINTING RESEARCH:

The first step is to print out a design of your choice. To transfer the design from the transparency, the screen is first coated with a thin layer of photo-sensitive emulsion using a scoop coater, a metal trough that has a clean, even edge .After the emulsion dries, the design is placed against the screen. The screen is then placed in an exposure unit that emits ultraviolet (UV) light. When the exposure unit is on, the design blocks the UV light that hardens the emulsion around the image. The emulsion covered by the design remains soft and is then washed out of the screen, leaving the design on the screen. A sheet of paper is then placed under the screen, and with another pass of the squeegee the ink is pushed through those areas of the screen that are not blocked by the stencil. The resulting impression follows the direction of the matrix. Then you should have printed your image on a surface of your choice.

PHOTO SCREENPRINTING

Semester  2

What’s in my mind?

Mixed media

FOOD PHOTOGRAPHY

Sushi platter | Pictures of food • Foodiesfeed • Food pictures —Pictures of food • Foodiesfeed • Food picturesYum! Mouthwatering Burger PhotographyProfessional Food Photography Mastery - Sorted Media

These were some photos of food that really caught my attention and honestly made me hungry. The way the photographer shot these foods influences the audience to imagine the taste and smell of the food. I’ve always loved eating sushi, delicious burgers, and pizza, and these images reminded me of the time I ate them. The lighting is also very important because you have to highlight and bring light to the ingredients that would make the audience hungry for it.

I believe they used studio spot lights and back lights to make the food pop out. In some images, you can tell where the light is coming from, and it is not natural light. It is a bright white so that the food’s color can pop out more and be seen easily. Most of the lighting is being shot down onto the food, and shadows are underneath or behind the subject. In the sushi photo, there is a light source at the top of the image, and a bounce at the back. You can tell there is a bounce because the bottom of the image is almost as bright as the front. The burgers, the background is dark so there is only head on lighting. The pizza is a down lighting to the side. You can see the shadows under the crust and more shadows to the left.

What I learned: When it comes to food photography, presentation is the #1 key aspect of the photo. The food item has to look its best, and brightly colored and places neatly onto a surface. Sauces could be used as decoration, surrounding the subject, making it pop out and stand out as art. Food photography has to be taken fast because of cheese hardening, or grease leaving meat. Details matter, as little as positioning of a small item, or grill marks being exposed. Lighting can also play a crucial role, as it can highlight and stand out the food item to make it more appealing or beautiful. Shallow depth of field could also be something to utilize, because it forces the audience to focus on just that food item, making them want it that much more.

LIGHT PAINTING PORTRAITS

MACRO CLOSE UP

SELF PORTRAIT ILLUSTRATION

Dash and ghostly handshake (Replacement for video project)

VALENTINES DAY CARD

Here’s a heart felt Valentine’s card I made for my mother who I love very much.

LAY FLAT STILL LIFE

FUTURE REFLECTION

TIME MAGAZINE COVER

EMOTION PHOTO SERIES

TOUCH SERIES

THROUGH THE LENS… PHOTOGRAPHERS STORIES

Omar z was a street photographer taking unique photos of dancers in very different places. I loved his photos, and showed off really talented people in really unexpected areas. Takashi Yasui was a Japanese photographer capturing beautiful photos of landscape and portraits of people. With the help of this photographer we are able to get a glimpse of a place we haven’t been, or maybe would have never seen without him. Alex is a landscape photographer who travels the world and takes beautiful photos. I really enjoy landscape photos because it takes me somewhere other than home. I want to travel when I grow up so when I see landscape photos, I hope to take some of my own on my iPhone.

BODYSCAPE

THEME BASED PHOTO ESSAY/STORY 

My photo essay was about my high school experience leading up to digital photography. Growing up I never knew what to expect, I always rolled with the way a day would turn out. Unless I knew what was going to happen, I love to plan things out so I can look forward to completing my future short term goals. High school was never this simple, I always had something new and I never knew if a day was going to be short or a long one. My high school experience was primarily of learning or practicing technology, coming to school prepared, creating new friends and being comfortable in new environments. The pictures that I took are a direct reflection of these things, and each photo was taken in my senior year photography class. I never would have expected coming to this class, but man am I happy I was able to take this opportunity. My photography class was able to teach me so many things about composition, technology and strategies on how to view the world around me.

But it’s not just my photography class that my high school experience was about. There will always be hard times where work suddenly skips ahead of you and you have to devote yourself to get it done. School is work, and work is hard, but with enough time management you will be able to prevail. I love school because of the fact that I can make friends growing up, and making memories with them as the years go by. We all struggle with the work together and we support each other. High school will be a thing none of us will forget.

DIPTYCH IMAGE

LOGO FOR CTE DIGITAL PHOTOGRAPHY

INSPIRATIONAL POSTER

WRITING ESSAY

If I were to pursue a job in photography, I would have chosen sports photography. A sports photographer is a professional who captures images during an athletic event. These are often action photographs of players. They try to use their photography to capture the emotion in the game or competition. They may also work as freelance photographers for various publications. Sports photographers that also write articles to accompany their pictures are photojournalists. One huge reason why I would want to be a sport photographer is because they get to see everything like swimming, running, water polo, paddling, martial arts, lacrosse, track and field, etc. The list can go on for days. If you want to photograph sports as a hobby or as a career, there are many opportunities. If it is called a sport, then it would be my job to capture the emotion of people who was there in person. I also like the idea of sports photography because, I get to capture a moment in a important place, then I would be able to share it across the world for people who never heard of the activity. Since sports photographer is a profession, you will need either an associate or bachelor’s in photography or journalism. The average sports photographer salary in California is $35,360 per year or $17 per hour. Entry level positions start at $32,240 per year while most experienced workers make up to $48,750 per year. Sports Photography is a very demanding form of photography with many conditions out of your control. Your subject matter is constantly moving, usually in unpredictable ways, and faster than normal activity. A sports photographer’s responsibility is to come prepared with their camera set to the occasion they are trying to capture. They also have to follow the rules of every other spectator watching the game, they may not interrupt a game for a photo or distract players with a loud flash. Room for growth in this field is being recognized as a popular photographer, and being allowed in bigger games, such as the super bowl or the Olympics. Some pros of the job would be You get to usually go to a sport that you enjoy, and do something you like to do while at the event, Can be a well and steady paying job, and Its great to see your work in a article. On the other hand some cons would include fast paced action is hard, because it could be a split second from getting the shot, or not getting the shot, most events are outdoors, which can make things difficult if the weather is bad, and the cameras, lenses, and other equipment can be very expensive.

ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE IN PHOTOGRAPHY

Artificial Intelligence has already been in our lives, helping everyone around us achieve what we are looking for. They even exist in the cameras we use today, or everyday software’s such as Apple’s Siri, Amazon’s Alexa, and Google Assistant. Some cameras and accessories even use AI technology to properly expose and photograph a scene. These tools can help photographers focus less on adjusting their settings and more on their composition. In addition, tools like this help new photographers who want to be sure to perfect their exposure every time. These ease of life features achievable by AI is essential for comfort in life. I find these things really helpful and useful, as they help us achieve our best work, at a much faster speed.

FACE AND HANDS MONTAGE

FASHION PHOTOGRAPHY 

Lindsay Adler, a fashion photographer, creates really talented fashion photography photos. I assume they dress the subject first, so they know what they are wearing, and what lights to use for composition. From the photos alone, I can see they use complex lighting, rather it be filler or white to brighten the subject. It is clear they never use just one lighting source, as the subject is always well lit.

ALBUM COVERS FOR DIGITAL AUDIO PRODUCTION STUDENTS

GRADUATION COVER DESIGN

PICK-A-SOMETHING

I chose to find anything green at my school because the color usually see on the daily are rather yellows or darks. It is nice to be reminded that we are surrounded by life and a handful of greens, but you would have to look through a window to truly see it.

BUSINESS OF PHOTOGRAPHY

If I were to start a business in photography, I would have to devote myself in staying in the profession, as the longer than I am in it, the more reputable I will become. With reputation, people will start to recognize me, and know that my work is worth the time and money. For the reason that they recognize me, they will know what to expect of my work, my visions, and how I capture a specific scene. While I am doing a job, I expect respect as I will treat every client with full respect, and I will try to connect with them so I can capture the perfect shot for everyone. I would charge my work based on my profit and loss statement. If I spend money on equipment, I should make enough to profit, otherwise I wouldn’t be running a very successful business. I would also charge by the hour, so the longer they keep me, the more they would have to pay. I would also be the only photographer on my contract so that all the profit on the contract goes to me. On the other hand I can not charge too much, because people will be dissatisfied with my prices and they would go somewhere else. My fees would be competitive but fair, compensating for time and labor, basic living fees and profit. In a contract, I would be payed by the hour. If a client wants me to shoot for multiple days, then there would only have 5 hours max, every 25 minutes after is an extra fee, and they would have to start a brand new contract the next day. They would also have to pay for the whole photoshoot, so the price can differ based on the equipment and location.

NEW PHOTOGRAPHS OF YOUR CHOICE